Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cranberry Apple Crumble Pie

Call me the Leftover Queen, but I just hate to throw out perfectly good food!
In searching my fridge for ingredients to make a pie (I had the second of a double pie crust in the freezer), I found some honeycrisp apples and half a bag of fresh cranberries (leftover from some Pom-Kiwi-Crantinis I made last week). And because I had no pastry for the top - I crowned it with a great crumble! And the result? - Oh so YUM!!

Who doesn't LOVE a great pie? 





Ingredients:
1 single pie shell


For the filling:
5 honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
1 cup fresh cranberries, washed
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 Tbsp flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp unsalted butter


For the crumble:
3/4 cup flour (I mixed 1/2 white 1/2 whole wheat)
1/4 firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts



  • Method:
  • 1. Place cranberries and apples in a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and toss to coat (this will prevent the apples from turning brown). Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle mixture over fruit and toss to coat evenly. Pour into unbaked pie shell and dot with butter. Cover loosely with foil to prevent over-browning and bake in 400F oven for about 30 minutes. 
  • 2. In the meantime, combine all ingredients for the crumble in a bowl and mix well with your hands (yes, your hands!) until, well...crumbly.
  • 3.Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 45 minutes until apples are done and topping is golden brown. Let cool to room temperature. Serves 6.
  • Try eating just one piece, I challenge you!

No comments:

Post a Comment