Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday Morning Poached Egg On Ground Chicken Hash in Sourdough Toast Bowl

I went to the Roger Waters Concert (formerly of the band Pink Floyd) last night and I got home very late - so today breakfast is truly a brunch as I am posting this at almost noon!

I really had to think about what to make this morning because I didn't buy any specific ingredients  - so I rummaged through the freezer and fridge and this is what I found:
A frozen package of ground chicken, red, yellow and green peppers, 1/2 a bag of red and yellow nugget potatoes, some chilli peppers, 1/2 a jar of pasta sauce, a package of Havarti cheese and a round loaf of sourdough bread...

I used to be a great fan of corned beef hash, but as I am trying to cut down on salt for Hubs, I just don't buy corned beef anymore, but I still enjoy a good mixed hash for breakfast, so this is what I figured...

Why not make the hash with ground chicken, place it in a toast bowl with some Havarti cheese and tomato sauce and top it all off with a poached egg?

First I trimmed the crusts from the sourdough bread. I needed two slices for each of my mini quiche dishes, but you could also use muffin tins for smaller portions and use one slice for each muffin cup. The bread didn't want to stay in the dish, so I had to weigh it down...
While I was toasting the bread bowls, I made the hash by frying the chicken in some olive oil, then adding onion, peppers and potatoes and cooked the hash together until the vegetables were done. I lined each toast bowl with a slice of Havarti cheese, then a couple of spoonfuls of pasta sauce and then the hash. I kept the bowls warm in the oven until the eggs were poached then placed them on top of the hash.


This is an all-in-one brunch, so you don't have to focus so much on the timing of the eggs, the toast and the hash to bring it all together at the last minute.

Ingredients:
For the hash:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound ground chicken
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 cups diced nugget potatoes
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 each red, yellow and green pepper, diced
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 chilli pepper, minced

8 slices sourdough bread, crusts trimmed
1 Tbsp butter
4 slices Havarti cheese
1/2 cup warmed pasta sauce
4 eggs, poached
Fresh parsley for garnish

Method:
1.Fry the chicken in tablespoon olive oil. Remove from pan and set aside. Add remaining olive oil to pan and cook onion, potatoes and peppers until soft. Add thyme, chilli pepper, salt and pepper and chicken and keep warm on medium-low heat.
2. Butter 4 mini quiche dishes or muffin cups; press bread slices into cups ( if using mini quiche dishes, weigh down with a ramekin; bake at 350F for 5 minutes, remove ramekin and continue to bake another 5-8 minutes (for muffin cups, bake for 5-8 minutes total ) or until bread is toasted. Line toast bowls/cups with Havarti cheese then spoon pasta sauce on top, then chicken hash; Top with poached egg; garnish with parsley. There is enough hash to fill 4-6 mini quiche bowls or 8-10 muffin cups.

Happy Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment