Friday, July 27, 2012

The Big Apple

In keeping with my recent trip to New York, I thought I would pay homage to one of the greatest cities in the world and name this week's Friday Night Cocktail: The Big Apple.

New York is a Mecca of restaurants and bars and its just plain tough walking past a place brimming with patrons chatting in that Nuu Yoork twang without at least popping inside to check out what the locals are eating or drinking. We did our share of that, true and I would be amiss not to mention I didn't discover a plethora of new ideas for my blog there...stay tuned!

At first I was thinking Manhatten-ish on the cocktail front, but I didn't have any red vermouth to blend with my whiskey and I am definitely not a maraschino cherry fan - no red dye #40 entering this body thanks! I do like a crisp tart apple all shiny and red, so incorporating this flavour into a drink seemed a no-brainer...

But...how could I duplicate the taste of that crisp tart apple in liquid form without the addition of apple jack, or baked apple bitters?

First I poured some rye whiskey into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Then I added some apple juice and lemon juice and gave it all a good shake. I then strained it into a chilled Martini glass that was rimmed with maple syrup and cinnamon and topped it all off with an apple cider float. Garnished with a crisp apple slice - a sophisticated looking, yet tongue-in-cheek libation: "A Big Apple a day, may just keep the doctor away!"

The Big Apple:
Ingredients:
2 ounces rye whiskey
1 ounce apple juice
1 ounce lemon juice
1 ounce apple cider
Drizzle of maple syrup
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Apple slice for garnish

Method:
On one side plate drizzle a circle of maple syrup. On another side plate sprinkle cinnamon; dip the Martini glass rim into the maple syrup, then roll around in the cinnamon until the rim is well coated. Set aside.
In cocktail shaker filled with ice, shake rye whiskey, apple and lemon juices until well chilled. Strain into prepared Martini glass; top with a apple cider float. Garnish with fresh apple slice. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment